In order to improve any operational process and provide greater customer value, business processes first needs to be understood, and the easiest way to understand a process is by drawing or mapping it. Mapping forms the basis of all process improvement as it shows:
- The current state i.e. “this is how we presently do it”
- The link between information and material flow
- Mapping visually describes your facility…..a picture is worth a thousand words
- Highlights process steps and identifies areas of waste. Remember the general rule: “The more process steps, the more waste a process has”
- Supports team-based improvement
- Provides a model and common language for Continuous Improvement (CI).