Business Process Improvement
Mike’s speciality is helping Inform’s clients get the most out of their business processes. Through strategic analysis with a focus on LEAN, Mike has helped our clients improve operational efficiency and most importantly, increase profits.
Mike has over 25 years experience as a Senior Manager, Business Advisor, University Lecturer and as joint MD of a manufacturing business.
- Manufacturing Strategy
- Business Process Analysis and Improvement
- Lean Philosophy
- Supply Chain Management
Clients in these industries
- Mechanical seals
- Spray-dried foods
- Fibre-cement building products
- Welding equipment
- Small electric motors
- FMCG warehousing & distribution
- Architectural designers
- Cast-iron cookware
- High-precision optical instruments
- High-voltage electrical switchgear
- Aluminium building products
- Passenger & freight train equipment
- Home design & construction
Background & Experience
- Co-founded a manufacturing business in 1986 that has grown to become a major South African manufacturer in two market segments, being office chairs for the corporate (upper-end) market segment, and secondly, high quality casino gaming chairs that are exported to casinos, clubs and hotels throughout the world.
- As a business advisor, successfully designed and implemented modern manufacturing strategies in a diverse range of industries. Specific Lean techniques included implementing new facility layouts, ERP systems, Pull systems, 5S, shop-floor measurement systems, VOC, TQM, TOC, VE/VA and Process Mapping.
- 10 years as a part-time lecturer in Production & Operations Management (Lean Philosophy & Manufacturing Strategy) at University of the Witwatersrand, MSc (Eng) programme.
- 15 years as external examiner in Manufacturing & Operations Management at the University of Cape Town, MBA programme.
- Presented numerous papers and keynote addresses at international conferences on Lean Philosophy and Manufacturing Strategy.
- Since 1991, external referee for the International Journal of Production Research (UK).
- Pr Eng, BSc (Ind) Eng, GDE, MSc (Eng)
- Marketing Management (MGSM)
- Executive Associate, Institute for Independent Business (IIB)